Whether you’re in the market for a new roof or you’ve recently had your roof replaced, you may be wondering how to keep your roof in good shape for a longer time – and what factors affect the lifespan of your roof. In this article, City2Surf Roofing will look at a few of the most common factors that affect your roof’s lifespan.
1. Climate & Weather
Weather conditions have a big effect on your roof’s lifespan. Strong winds, for example, can damage and destroy asphalt shingles, leading to water damage and other issues that may require you to have your roof repaired or replaced. Other, heavier materials like slate and tile are more durable and hold up to inclement weather more effectively. If you live in an area with frequent storms and severe weather, you’ll need to take this into account when choosing a roofing material.
2. Type Of Roof
There are a lot of different roof materials and roofing systems out there, and the type of roof you choose has the biggest effect on the longevity of your roof. Here is a list of a few of the most common roofing materials and their average lifespans.
- Asphalt shingle roofs – Asphalt shingle roofs usually last between 10-20 years, though some types of shingles made of high-quality materials can last up to 30 with proper maintenance.
- Metal roofing – Metal roofs like Colorbond are very durable and will usually last about 50 years in Sydney.
- Concrete tile roofs – Concrete tiles are a type of man-made synthetic tile, and usually last about 50 years, similar to metal roofs.
- Wood shakes & shingles – Wood shakes and shingles made of high-quality wood like cedar can last 30-40 years, but require more maintenance than most other roofing materials.
- Terracotta and slate roofs – Terracotta tile and slate tile can easily last 100+ years, making these roof materials the most durable options on the market.
3. Proper Installation
This is a major factor that affects the longevity of your roof and its life span. Improper installation by a roofing company that’s inexperienced or careless can lead to serious problems – while a high-quality roof installed by a seasoned, experienced roofing contractor will last much longer.
If you’re thinking about a roof repair or replacement and have not yet hired a roofing contractor, make sure to do your research and hire a qualified, reputable roofing installer to ensure that you get the proper installation for your roof.
Otherwise, you may need to replace your roof much sooner due to poor quality installation that could result in water damage, poor energy efficiency, and more.
4. Gutter Cleaning & Roof Maintenance
You need to have your gutters cleaned twice a year – ideally once in the spring and once in the autumn – to remove the buildup of debris and ensure that your roof is draining properly. Poor drainage can cause water damage and premature roof failure.
5. Roof Inspections
Periodic roof inspections are a great investment for the lifespan of your roof. We recommend having your roof inspected once a year, or once every two years at a minimum. A qualified inspector from City2Surf Roofing can identify potential issues with your roof that can be repaired right away – and addressing these issues can help prevent the need for more costly repairs in the future, and help preserve your roof for a longer time.
Need A Roof Repair, Replacement, Or Inspection?
At City2Surf Roofing, we’re experts in tile roofing, Colorbond roofing, and much more in Sydney. If you need roof repairs or replace your roof, or increase your roof’s lifespan – we’re here to help. Contact us online or give us a call at 1300 296 842 to get started.