How Much Does a Roof Replacement Cost?
A damaged roof isn’t something you can afford to ignore. When roofs start to leak, sag, or reach the end of their lifespan, they can severely damage the interior structure of the building. On top of that, a poor roof will look terrible from the outside and cause prospective buyers to shy away from the property. Once the roof reaches this state, replacement is usually the only option.
Unfortunately, replacing a roof can be a costly and time consuming endeavor. But it is necessary to preserving your home’s structural integrity and increasing its value. Below, we’ll take a look at how much a roof replacement costs depending on the materials you want.
At City2Surf Roofing, we’re highly dedicated roofing contractors and specialists who can work a variety of roofing materials. Whether you need to replace a tile or metal roof, we’ve got you covered. Find out below what the signs are that you need to replace a roof and how we can complete an affordable and fast roof replacement job for your Sydney home.
What are the signs a roof needs replaced?
There are many signs and symptoms that point to a near-future roof replacement job. If your roof is relatively new, it may only need a simple restoration. At City2Surf, we’ll come out and inspect your roof first so you know if a replacement or a restoration is in order.
When it comes to signs of a replacement, however, keep in mind the following:
- The age of the roof. A metal roof that’s only ten years old but has some damage to it may only need a restoration. Likewise, if your tile roof is close to 50 years old, you’ll want to replace it. A good-quality metal or terracotta tile roof should last you 50 years. Zinc metal roofs can last close to 100. Overall, the age of the roof, despite any damage it may have, will determine if it needs replaced or restored.
- Is the roof sagging? It needs replaced without question.
- Are you experiencing leaks and water damage? Then you need a new roof.
- If moss, algae and other vegetation are growing on the roof, the roof needs replaced.
- If your tile roof is old and has many missing, cracked, or broken tiles, it’s time to look into a roof replacement.
- Metal roofs that are old and have holes, rust, or other corrosion to them will need replaced.
How long do most roofs last?
It depends on the material:
- Asphalt shingles only last about 30 years at the absolute maximum. Most will need replaced after about 20 years because of damage from the elements, and wear and tear.
- Cedar shake and shingle roofs can last between 30 and 50 years if well treated.
- Terracotta and concrete tile roofs can last for up to 50 or 60 years.
- Aluminum and steel metal roofs last, on average, for 50 years. A zinc or copper metal roof lasts the longest, at 100 years on average.
- Slate roofs last the longest. A slate roof can last you between 100 to 175 years.
What does each type of roofing material cost to replace?
The material will determine the cost of the roof the most, but the size of your building, and the pitch and slope of the roof will also affect the cost. Gables and roof slopes that are high, dangerous, and difficult to access will all increase the costs of the installation. If you have old, asbestos concrete tiles, that will also affect the costs. Removing asbestos requires special consideration and care to be legally compliant. At City2Surf Roofing, we’re up-to-date and all roofing replacement regulations in Sydney.
- Asphalt Shingle
An Asphalt shingle roof is one of the cheapest roofing materials on the market. Many homeowners will choose an asphalt shingle roof, but the problem is, these roofs don’t last for very long. And in Australia where weather is a bit extreme, the shingles will become damaged more quickly than other materials, further shortening an asphalt shingle roofs lifespan. Typically, an asphalt shingle roof will cost around $5 per square metre.
- Cedar Shakes and Shingles
Hardwood shakes and shingles are an attractive option for many buildings. They will last longer than an asphalt shingle roof, too. Expect to a pay around $9 per square metre.
Metal roofs like colorbond roofing are durable, attractive, and come in a variety of materials and colors. For a high-quality metal roof, expect to pay anywhere between $50 and $70 per square meter.
- Tile Roof Replacement
Tile roofs come in different materials, shapes, sizes, and colors.
- Terracotta roof tiles
Concrete tiles are the least expensive roof tiling option, and they will last for many years. A high-quality concrete tile roof can cost around $40 to $60 per square metre. Terracotta tiles will run you anywhere between $80 and $110 a square metre, while a slate tile is the most expensive and also the longest-lasting option. Slate tiles can cost up to $500 per square metre.
As you can see, the costs can vary greatly. It’s imperative that you don’t undertake a roof replacement job by yourself. A roof replacement job requires the experience and skills of a knowledgeable contractor.
Before you decide to replace your roof, you want to get a detailed quote for the job. In addition, many Australians will choose to switch to a new roofing material when they go to replace an old and tired tile or slate roof. Replacing a slate roof can be incredibly cost prohibitive, and terracotta tiles may increase the load on the underlying structure too much. While an asphalt shingle roof may not last you as long as slate or metal roof, it’s still a viable option and will protect your building from the elements and increase its value.
What will a contractor look for during the roof inspection?
The contractor will look at the type of existing roof materials, the position of the roof, and its slope or grade. They will also take into consideration how easy or difficult it will be to access different parts of the roof for replacement. Gutters and flashing will also be noted. A contractor will also determine if the structure underneath can sustain the weight of a replacement tile roof, and they will consider your budget and the material you want for the replacement.
When you call City2Surf Roofing Sydney for your free roof inspection, you can rest assured that you’ll be getting a detailed and accurate quote that will fit within your budget. We’ll work quickly and to your specifications to give you a stunning new roof for your building. All of our contractors are licensed and insured, and are knowledgeable on current and best practices in Sydney roof replacement. You only want to work with experienced roofing contractors, and we’ve got over 40 years of experience in the business. Don’t hesitate to fix your tired, old roof. Call us today to get started!